The Neesons

The Neesons

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yes, No and....Are you serious?

Well after being in the hospital for some time now you have your usual nurses that know you and know basically what is happening in your day to day life. It's every few days that you get a new nurse or a nursing student that comes in and for some reason feel that they know more than you do and that they can solve or cure you within their shift. Let me tell you something, if this could be cured in a six hour period do you not think I would be better by now?

So with the new nurses you get asked all the same questions that I have been asked probably at least 50 times now. Every time they ask they always seem surprised at the answers so I thought that maybe I would let you all in on my day to day physical condition and perhaps I will print out this answers list so I can just hand it to a new nurse when they come in.

Q) How are you feeling?
A) Nauseous, Exhausted

Q) Is the nausea better or worse then before?
A) It is never better, there are days when it is worse but no I ALWAYS feel nauseous

Q) How often are you sick?
A) Every day. I literally throw up at least two to three times every day.

Q) When was the last time you ate something?
A) Two to three months ago

Q) Have you tried eating dry foods, small amounts of food, crackers, etc...?
A) Seriously? Do you not think that by now I would have tried everything possible to keep something down? Yes I have tried everything you could possibly think of.

Q) Do you feel hungry?
A) No I have no desire to eat or drink anything

Q) Are the medications helping?
A) They make the nausea tolerable but never take it away completely.

Q) Are your legs or feet swollen?
A) No. ( One nurse actually told me that I was lucky when I said no. I think we have different view points on what a rough pregnancy actually is)

Q) Are you sleeping?
A) Yes but not through the night. I wake up four or five times every night and no sleeping pills don't help.

That's pretty much everything that I can remember them asking within the first five minutes of them walking in the room. On top of that they take vitals, listen to your heart and lungs and check you over for anything they think may be out of the ordinary.

The "Are you serious," question was asked by one of the OBGYN doctors that I saw. The first time I ever met him he walked in my room sat on a chair and asked me flat out, " Are you sure you want to continue with this pregnancy?"

I think I was in shock when he asked this. Do I want to continue with this pregnancy? Are you serious? Of course I want to continue, I love this baby. It amazed me that this would even be asked but then I thought, this is obviously asked because there are women out there that choose not to have their babies. In my mind, heart and well every piece of me knows that God gave Shamus and I this baby and it is up to Him when he/she is born and when He will call them home.

God gives us moments in life to test our faith in Him and some of these moments are easier to face then others. I know that He wants me to be going through this experience to grow and learn from it but I also know that my faith is strong in the fact that He is in charge of this baby and His plan is bigger than any doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment