The Neesons

The Neesons

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sleep

You know how doctors do those studies to show how long the average teenager or adult sleeps during the night and the effects it has on their health. Well I think they should do one for the average hospital patient because I am sure it would be less than the average adult.

When I was first admitted to the hospital the doctors tell you to rest so that your body along with the medication can work and get better. Who knew that resting and getting sleep in a hospital can be next to impossible. After twelve days of being here I have only slept through the night once. Now take a moment and think about this; If you were in good health and started not sleeping more than four hours a night, eventually your body would get sick. So what happens when you are already sick and then not sleeping? How will your body ever recover?

Now I know you are probably thinking in a hospital there are always beeps going off from the machines, the beds are not the most comfortable and usually people can't sleep because they are in a strange environment. Well I disagree. Yes my hospital bed is no memory foam mattress but I can usually find a position that I am comfortable in. As for the machines I actually find the soft pumping noise of my IV soothing and somewhat relaxing. So after some careful thought I finally figured out why I was not sleeping, it's my schedule.

Now you would think that a person in the hospital wouldn't have a lot going on but you would be wrong. In fact I have less time to myself and am more busy here then outside the hospital.

6am- Weighed, Vitals and Meds
7am- Blood Tests
8am- Breakfast
9am- Vitals
10am- Meds
11am- Meds
12pm- Lunch
2pm- Meds and Vitals
4pm- Meds
5pm- Dinner
6pm- Picc Line Change
9pm- Meds and Vitals
10pm- Meds
2am- Meds

That is a lot of stuff going on and in those days they do blood sugar tests, ultra sounds if need be and, you also have visitors. At one point the doctors put me on a sleeping pill which didn't make me sleep any better it just made me groggy the next day.

I think when I finally do get to go home I am going to need a vacation just so I can relax and do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment